The Onion AV Club in Chicago has this tiny, round, Starbucks-sponsored room in which they have bands come through and do covers of songs chosen by their wacky, comment-happy readers. Sharon Van Etten, extremely cool dudette after my own heart, brought Secretly Canadian artist and tour-mate Little Scream to the booth to record Fine Young Cannibals’ “She Drives Me Crazy.” Laurel and two of her bandmates from Little Scream kicked it up on the second verse. Watch above, and you won’t be subjected to clever, manipulative frappuccino advertisements. God I love frozen blended beverages!!!
Little Scream is currently on tour with The Antlers!
Lots of Little Scream news to share. I’m going to number this so I don’t lose track!
1. Happy Release Day! The Golden Record is finally out in all fine music retailers. We are so proud to be a part of it.
2. Check out the video for “The Lamb” above. It was done by Parabola Films and debuted today at Gorilla Vs. Bear.
3. The Golden Record is streaming in its entirety, free of charge, at Spinner.com here.
4. At participating retail stores and for one lucky mail order customer, 70 Golden Tickets will be hidden inside copies of The Golden Record. Each customer who receives a Golden Ticket is entitled to a hand-painted pendant made by Little Scream’s Laurel Sprengelmeyer.
“Over the last year I have had less and less time to spend in my painting studio. To compensate, I created a miniature studio out of a cigar box that I can take with me on the road. From this miniature studio, I have begun to create miniature paintings. Miniature paintings have a long and diverse history, encompassing the sacred and the sappy. I like to think of these small works as embodying both.
The pendants that golden ticket winners will receive are all hand crafted by me, containing signed and numbered copies of original paintings. I like to think of them as part of an ‘illuminated manuscript’ of the record, tiny portraits of some of the characters I tried to bring to life in these songs.”
5. Little Scream just wrapped up a successful run of US dates with Sharon Van Etten. Following a performance at The National’s Music Now Festival in Cincinnati Little Scream will hit the road again, this time with The Antlers. Tour dates are all here.
If you’ll be in the Austin, Texas area next week be sure to come visit us at the Secretly Canadian / Jagjaguwar/ Dead Oceans SXSW showcase, where we’ll be partying all night with Little Scream and Suuns among others!
Check out all of our artists’ SXSW schedules after the jump. Read the rest of this entry »
First things first – listen to this beautiful song.
Incredible, right? I’ve listened to it about fifty times, and each time is no less great. “Cannons” is the second song on Little Scream’s new LP The Golden Record.
Today The Golden Record became available digitally exclusively at iTunes. You can buy the whole album here. If cds and vinyl are still your preferred listening methods, you can pre-order from SC Distribution here and still receive an instant digital download of The Golden Record.
Little Scream is about to go on a huge US tour with Sharon Van Etten with some dates in Europe after with Jose Gonzales. They are also playing FIVE shows at SXSW. Come see us at Red 7 on Wednesday night.
Kingston, ON - Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts
Wakefield, QC - WuFest! @ The Black Sheep Inn w/ Pony Girl, Giant Hand